PDA

View Full Version : Computer Crashes during SmartUpdate

SteveL
09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm using SD! to clone my MacBook Air (10.6.4). Occasionally, something goes amis during SmartUpdate. For example, I checked the box to repair permissions and then began the update. However, when I returned SD! had not completed repairing permissions and the whirling clock was telling me that the notebook was trying to shut down.

I rebooted and gave it another try, this time without repairing permissions. Worked as advertised.

I've checked the backup disk, and to the best of my knowledge, I think the drive is fine.

Any suggestions are welcome!

dnanian
09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
When SD! "repairs permissions", we simply hand off to Disk Utility, which does it for us. If the Mac hung while doing that, there's something wrong with Disk Utility, the drive, or something similar.

Remember, repairing permissions is done on the source, not the destination, so you'll want to check the startup disk. To do so, you'll need to start up from your OSX install DVD...

SteveL
09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
I'll check the source, Dave, and report back if I continue to have trouble. Thanks for the excellent support, once again!