PDA

View Full Version : Consecutive backup automation?

strathglass
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Currently I always run superduper manually.
But I am always backing up two different drives, one after the other (waiting for the first to complete so I can then start the second).

Would superduper allow this to be automated so that I can initiate one action that would result in BOTH drives being backed up in sequence?
If so, any gentle pointers on the process to do this would be appreciated.
Thanks!

dnanian
09-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I'd set up two schedules, then turn off their 'timed' backups. They'll still be in the list, and you should be able to open Scheduled Copies, select the one you want first, click copy now, select the second, click copy now, and they'll run back to back.

strathglass
09-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Oh fantastic ... Thanks Dave! That worked perfectly.
I was going to ask how to determine if the first backup worked but I figured that out (select that script, which shows the last execution date, and then click Show Log...).

dnanian
09-08-2010, 09:07 PM
It'll also turn red if it fails...

Ruben
09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I'd set up two schedules, then turn off their 'timed' backups. They'll still be in the list, and you should be able to open Scheduled Copies, select the one you want first, click copy now, select the second, click copy now, and they'll run back to back.

thank you, was just looking for that

otter
09-04-2014, 03:13 PM

After many years of backing up to a single drive, I wanted to be able to back up to two drives - one to leave at home, one to take offsite - and this advice worked beautifully except for one thing.

My backups are set to shut down my Mac after completion since I finish working at different times each night and the backup is the last thing I do - manually, due to the varying work times. The good news is that it didn't shut down after the first "scheduled" job, though a system notice about SD preventing shutdown did pop up. The bad news is that it didn't shut down after the second job, either, with another system shutdown notice.

Is it possible to instruct the first job to Do Nothing on completion, but have the second job shut down the Mac? I tried changing the option when setting up the schedules, but changing one changes both.

Thanks.

dnanian
09-04-2014, 07:32 PM
No, changing one changes one - you have to delete and recreate the schedule. It'll only work if you have two, though - set the 2nd to run a few minutes after the first... and set that one to shut down (or, better, to sleep).