PDA

View Full Version : "Check for Updates" command fails


Lyle
09-06-2010, 12:44 PM
I have SuperDuper! set up to run automatically every night and so I only occasionally start it up interactively, to check the logs and make sure all is well. When I did so this morning it reported that it has been unable to contact the update server to check for new versions for several days. Sure enough, when I select the "Check for Update..." command from the main menu, I get this response after a few seconds:
The version check failed due to a "The request timed out." error. Contact support@shirt-pocket.com for assistance.
Now, I didn't contact support via email because this frankly isn't an emergency for me---SuperDuper! is working just fine---and I didn't want to bug Dave. But I thought I'd post here just to see if this is a known issue.

sjk
09-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I've never seen that error. Which version are you currently running?

dnanian
09-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Are you using LittleSnitch or anything that might be blocking our update check, Lyle?

Lyle
09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm running version 87, which I believe is the latest version.

I'm not running Little Snitch, and AFAIK I'm not running any other software that would try to block that outgoing traffic. I just checked my router logs to see if it logs blocked traffic, but unfortunately, it just logs (successful) outgoing traffic.

I think I might try just rebooting the iMac to see if that makes a difference. I hate programming by superstition as much as anyone, but I'm not sure what else to try at the moment. :confused:

dnanian
09-08-2010, 08:00 AM
It seems to be working here, Lyle. Anyone else seeing check for update issues (other than the "(null)" version number)?

Lyle
09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
It's obviously something unique about this computer (my iMac, at home). SuperDuper! can contact the update server just fine from my MacBook at work, for example.

SuperDuper! is working fine for me so this is really, really low priority (and it sounds like it's not reproducible for anyone but me anyways). I think I'll bring my MacBook home from the office and see if it can still contact the update server when it's on my home wireless network. If that works, then it's probably not the network. I might also install Wireshark or something and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks for listening. ;) I'll post back here when I resolve the problem, on the off chance that someone else runs into it.