PDA

View Full Version : Strange automountd behavior?

Herbert Schulz
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Howdy,

I've got a Firewire drive with four partitions mounted. One of those partitions has my bootable backup and it all works very nicely.

However, there is often a 10-15second delay when SuperDuper! starts up and, I assume, is looking for connected drives and also when it is closing. Little Snitch's Network Monitor is showing automountd is trying to access System.wowway.com over the network. Wowway.com is my ISP. Any idea why this is happening?

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

dnanian
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Well, we're asking the system to refresh the list of mounted drives. Perhaps you have a network volume attached?

Herbert Schulz
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Well, we're asking the system to refresh the list of mounted drives. Perhaps you have a network volume attached?Howdy,

Hmmm... I've only got a Time Capsule and shouldn't that be a .local and not be going out to my ISP? Do you have any idea what could be generating that call or is System.xxxxx.xxx a standard way of asking the ISP for any info about networked stuff on their network?

Oh, by the way this is with Snow Leopard (10.6.4).

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

dnanian
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Perhaps it's checking with "Back to my Mac"?

Herbert Schulz
07-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Perhaps it's checking with "Back to my Mac"?Howdy,

Just checked and `Back to my Mac' is turned off in System Preferences. In any case wouldn't the URL have something to do with me.com?

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

dnanian
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Not necessarily, if the NAT traversal code is trying to figure out the proper path. I can only suggest it's related to a network mount, and that you should allow it, Herb. It's coming from Apple's disk daemon, and there's no point blocking it.

Little Snitch can cause a lot of trouble if used incorrectly, and it generates a ton of noise, too. Blocking traffic because you're not sure what it is isn't always a good idea.

Herbert Schulz
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Not necessarily, if the NAT traversal code is trying to figure out the proper path. I can only suggest it's related to a network mount, and that you should allow it, Herb. It's coming from Apple's disk daemon, and there's no point blocking it.

Little Snitch can cause a lot of trouble if used incorrectly, and it generates a ton of noise, too. Blocking traffic because you're not sure what it is isn't always a good idea.Howdy,

I fully agree. That's why I was trying to figure out why it was happening before doing anything. It's always a bit of a worry when stuff seems to be happening behind your back. I tend not to act before finding out what's going on.

Thanks for your help.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz