PDA

View Full Version : New Internal HD for Mac Pro

canyonlight
07-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi Dave,

I am wanting to purchase a new internal (system) hard drive for my early 2008 Mac Pro.

I understand the process I should follow goes sorta like this:

1) Install the new HD in an empty bay in the Mac Pro.
2) Partition the new HD as explained in the Frequently Asked Questions.
3) Use Super Duper to copy the existing system HD to the new HD.
4) Re-name the new HD and shut down.
5) Remove both the old and new HD's and reinstall the new HD in the bay where the old system HD was.
6) Power up and cross my fingers.

Am I even close?

Many thanks,

Stan

dnanian
07-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Yep, pretty close. Here are my standard steps, Stan:

First, prepare the new drive (in a drive dock or similar, like a bay in your MacPro) by partitioning it:

* Start Disk Utility
* Select the external drive hardware in the sidebar
* Click the Partition tab (if it doesn't appear, you selected the volume, not the drive hardware above it)
* Use Disk Utility's controls to divide the drive as needed, even as a single large partition. Use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type and name appropriately
* Click Options
* Choose the proper partition scheme (GUID for Intel macs, Apple Partition Map for Power PC) and accept the page
* Click Partition.

Then, make a full "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" or "Erase, then copy" to the new drive.

Rename the drive to have the *same* name as the original.

Now, normally you'd shut down and swap the drives. In your case, though, you'll rename the old drive to something else (e.g. "Old Macintosh HD") and select the new drive as the startup disk in the startup disk preference pane.

That's all there is to it! Note that some copy protected programs might notice that the new drive is different than the old one and may need to be 'reactivated'.

Once you're satisfied you can remove the old drive.

canyonlight
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Fantastic. Thanks, Dave.
Stan