PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility with new MacBook?

hesson11
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
I've long been using SuperDuper (current version 2.6.2) with my iBook G4 (PowerPC) without a hint of a glitch. I'm about to buy a new laptop and would like to get the basic model MacBook (Intel, without Firewire). I've read the warnings about SD backups using USB, but I'm not sure I understand their implications. So my questions are:

Could I, in fact, use SD with the new MacBook and a USB external disk?

Would the same external disk brands mentioned in the SD User Guide be the ones to look for (Other World Computing, WiebeTech, LaCie, Maxtor OneTouch)?

If I want to continue using SuperDuper, should I just bite the bullet and buy a higher-level MacBook that has FireWire?

(Background: I've been searching for answers before posting, but I'm kind of a low-tech guy, and if this question has been addressed, it's not been done in language I understand. My apologies.)
-Bob

dnanian
07-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, as stated in the User's Guide and the System Requirements, USB drives can be startup drive on Intel macs, if properly partitioned. Same general suggested drives, although see the discussion thread about additional ones.

In general, FireWire is better/faster/etc. But USB will work.

hesson11
07-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Dave. Still the best damn support in the business! I appreciate it.
-Bob