PDA

View Full Version : Can't add cloned vol to Spotlight privacy section

hoodsmom
08-18-2005, 12:00 AM
I used the disable spotlight after cloning script. Before cloning I'd dragged the target volume to the privacy section of the spotlight preferences. After cloning, the target colume had disappeared from the privacy section and I can't add it back. Is this normal?

dnanian
08-18-2005, 07:03 AM
It's expected, yes, but not normal. We actually don't know why it doesn't allow the drive to be added back in, but the indexing is definitely disabled.

We're continuing to look at the whole spotlight thing, to try to come up with improved techniques for handling it. In the meantime, though, the indexing is off...

eab01@apk.net
08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi all. I'm a new user of SD! (and I love the whole concept). Like others on the forum, I'm trying to figure out how to work and play well with Spotlight . I usually power down my system at night (not always, but typically). When I reboot, Spotlight always starts re-indexing my Lacie backup disk. I then have to manually go in and shut down indexing via the terminal. I thought I had it permanently turned off by setting the appropriate _exclusions.plist in the Lacie's .Spotlight-V100 directory (which is what the "Privacy" pane does), but it wasn't working. Then it occured to me (D'Oh!) that when I'd run SuperDuper!, the .Spotlight-V100 directory was overwritten with the one from my live HD, which, of course, has Spotlight indexing turned on.

Here's my question: can I somehow painlessly exclude this one directory from the cloning process? I'm using the script "Backup-all files". Maybe this has already been answered and I didn't look hard enough. Sorry if this turns out to be a FAQ, but thanks in advance for any help. -Eric

dnanian
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
You can't actually exclude it, Eric (well, you can prevent it from being copied, but it would then be erased), but by using the script posted in the FAQ you can prevent the indexing.

See this FAQ entry (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361) for the details and little executable script you'll use.

eab01@apk.net
08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Dave-- I should have looked more carefully before posting. I was just about to start editing the _Exclusions.plist in my main drive's .Spotlight-V100 directory...this is much easier! Looking forward to the next version, BTW-- particularly the scheduling interface.

Great product!

Best,
Eric

dnanian
08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Glad that helped. And, regarding v2.0 -- I'm looking forward to releasing it!

hoodsmom
05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
When I wrote the original post, I was running SuperDuper! from my son's Tiger-running computer and backing up his computer to his external drive. Since then I myself have finally upgraded to Tiger and SuperDuper 2.5 Tonight I was using my computer to back up my son's computer, with both his computer and backup drive mounted as external drives. I could not drag his backup drive to my Spotlight privacy tab.

Assuming that I used the old script to keep Spotlight from indexing the backup drive, did the script alter the backup drive so that Spotlight won't index it whenever it's mounted as an external drive?

dnanian
05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
It should have.