PDA

View Full Version : A few simple questions...

Walter
04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I have owned SD for several years and finally had courage to really try it out after a disastrous episode. And yes, never used the Time Machine because the backup process every hour is more then i want and also it seemed to really slow down my iMac even though it has a 3.06GHz processor.

Using SD I cloned my iMac's main hard drive to one of the three external FireWire drives ( Main drive=one terabyte with less then 20% used and FW drive=500GB ). My first attempt went smoothly although there is a lot to learn for this old goof.

When i restarted from the iMac to the external FW drive all the drive icon's lined up exactly as they were when i am in the main iMac. In other words, the start up drive i booted into was not at the top and i was not even sure i was signed in the external FW drive. I used Disk Utility to confirm which drive i was signed into.

Why ? Or is that a result of the cloning processs. :confused:

Also want to know, does SD maintain a log of the backups it performed ?

Also want to know, how or what settings do i select to do a mirrored backups ? :confused:

dnanian
04-13-2010, 09:58 AM
"Drive at the top" is not a documented or guaranteed situation. If you want to check the startup drive, use the "About This Mac" panel in the Apple menu.

Your backups are in the log in Window > Show Log (for manual backups) or, Window > Scheduled Copies (for scheduled copies, select the schedule and click Show Log).

You want to use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" in about 99.9% of cases to do a backup.

Walter
04-13-2010, 10:13 AM
You want to use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" in about 99.9% of cases to do a backup.

I see the "Backup - all files" but where do i select "Smart Update" ?

dnanian
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
In Options. (See the User's Guide - Help > User's Guide.)

Walter
04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Thank you, I really appreciate your patience with me and providing me with the answers. Excuse me for saying this, but so far, i have found SD to be very much idiot proof. Excellent scripting by you. Thanks again.

dnanian
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Walter - glad you're enjoying using it.