PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper copy is 9GB smaller than Mac HDD

black eye.
03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I have just got a new MacBook Pro running snow leopard 10.6.2, as my last mac was only running leopard i wiped my external drive and did a fresh back up.

The strange thing is that the space taken up on the mac HDD is 90.31GB, but on the SuperDuper back up it is only 81.94. I did another back up to a different external drive and it has done the same!
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance

andrew.

dnanian
03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
If you use Finder's "Go To Folder" command to open /Volumes, do you see any folders (vs. aliases/symlinks) in there?

black eye.
03-22-2010, 12:07 PM
What exactly am i looking for in the finder/go/folder?
I dont understand what your asking :confused:
Sorry!!

dnanian
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
You are looking for any folders in the /Volumes folder.

black eye.
03-23-2010, 06:09 AM
In the /Volumes folder there are two files;

1 is a shortcut to my HDD

2 is a file named the same as my SuperDuper back up that gives me this message if i try to open it;
'The folder “MacBook Pro Back Up.” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.'
Also, the files info does not tell me its size.

Andrew.

dnanian
03-23-2010, 08:29 AM
OK. Did you back up to a file/image, or to a drive? There shouldn't be a file there. Is the backup drive mounted?

black eye.
03-25-2010, 01:13 PM
its backed up to a drive, and it wasnt connected when i checked that folder.

dnanian
03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I can only suggest that you may have a large 'sleep image' file, a lot of temporary files, VM swap files, etc. You can see, in the script, exactly what we don't copy...

black eye.
03-25-2010, 04:28 PM
if this was the case, this would have been happening on my old mac?
which it wasnt, this is a new issue since i backed up my new MPB, and the info on here is transferred off the old one.

dnanian
03-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I guarantee that your old mac also had a difference in size between the source and destination. Different Macs/software/etc will have different size differentials.

If you want, restart your Mac, make another backup, then use "Send to shirt pocket" with "error during copy" as the event type to send me a log, and I'll take a look.