PDA

View Full Version : Migration Or Clone Path Suggestion

MacWorksLLC
12-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Looking for some solid advice to move my startup volume and USer folder to a new drive.

I have a newer unibody MBPro with an express card slot. I have moved my System Folder & Apps to a 40GB SSD express card and that is what I use to boot.
My user folder is on the internal SATA drive of the MBPro.

I have just purchased an Intel X25-M and would like to my the System and Apps from the express card along with the User Folder from the Internal SATA to this new drive.

What is the most seamless way to this using either Migration Utility, Super Duper or both.

Many thanks

dnanian
12-17-2009, 08:43 AM
You've sort of entered the 'unsupported' zone, but you could try to do a Smart Update of the SSD to the new drive and then, if your User folder is in /Users/your-account on the internal drive, use "Backup - user files" with "Copy Different" -- ONE TIME ONLY -- to integrate the other material...

MacWorksLLC
12-17-2009, 12:10 PM
My User folder is in the path you described, however I am not completely following what you mean by a Smart Update from the Express Card to the new X25.
Would I not just use SD and copy the Express Card contents to the X25 and then "use "Backup - user files" with "Copy Different" -- ONE TIME ONLY"

Thanks, Dave.

dnanian
12-17-2009, 12:59 PM
That's what I'm saying. Use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" to copy the Express Card to the X25, then use "Backup - user files" with "Copy Different". But that 2nd part can only be done ONCE. You can't re-copy the user files that way.

MacWorksLLC
12-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Got it! I'll report back on the results.
Happy Holidays and continued success, Dave!

MacWorksLLC
12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Worked like a charm!