PDA

View Full Version : Restore from Sparse

joe68
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM
I have my backup sparse image mounted and trying to RESTORE in disk utility to my harddrive. I selelct the SOURCE (the mounted sparse) but can no select the DESTINATION (it won't let me add it to the field in disk utility) Is it because I am starting off the Hardrive? Do I need to reformat and divide it into 2 partitions? THanks for help, Im sure there is an easy answer im jstmissing.

dnanian
11-16-2009, 09:54 AM
See the User's Guide -- "Recovering from a disaster" -- Joe. You can't restore to a drive you're running from, so you'll want to start up from the OSX DVD (or, if you're just trying to restore a few files, you can copy them back with Finder).

joe68
11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
THanks for quick reply, I figured I'd start off the DVD, but then I can't see the networked Image, I looked at the user manual and the picture shows the Macintosh Hard Drive and a Sandbox (?) drive. I guess I could copy sparse image it to a Firewire drive or somthing. It was my internal drive that went bad, maybe I'll just reinstall apps.

dnanian
11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Ah, networked. If you have a small drive with a basic OSX install (say, a thumb drive) and boot from that, you can then connect to your network and get access (and restore with SD! if you'd like)