PDA

View Full Version : Server manager and server

SenileLimey
10-31-2009, 11:31 AM
My SD backup was to a blank Mac mini which boots fine. I made the mistake of starting the mini, on the network whilst the source of the backup was still there also. The result was I now see Myhost and Myhost(2) on my network even when Myhost isn't attached to the network.

The problem is, server manager won't open my server and I can't convince Myhost(2) it should really just be Myhost.

Thanks in advance to those wiser than me :confused:

I haven't lost my marbles, I just can't remember where I left them :)

dnanian
10-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Not sure what might allow this to be fixed... I assume you can't rename the Mac in System Preferences?

SenileLimey
10-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Not sure what might allow this to be fixed... I assume you can't rename the Mac in System Preferences?

Seem to recall if you just change the name in sharing prefs, you break something else. I really hope someone had been as dumb as me and had a tested fix.

But thanks for your kind suggestion. If I don't find a safer way I'll try it and see.

I more often forget what I remembered than remember what I forgot ......

SenileLimey
11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Seem to recall if you just change the name in sharing prefs, you break something else. I really hope someone had been as dumb as me and had a tested fix.

But thanks for your kind suggestion. If I don't find a safer way I'll try it and see.

I more often forget what I remembered than remember what I forgot ......

I can now report that all you need to do is as suggested go to : System Preferences > Sharing where you can correct the Computer Name. The host name will change automatically at the same time.

It's as well to note that you don't even need the original server connected for this to happen as the latency in some routers would cause the same problem. In that case I guess you also need to reboot(reset) the router before you correct the Computer Name.

Anyway back to .... well whatever I was doing when all this started .... whatever that was