PDA

View Full Version : Backing up multiple computers to one HD

BorisMD
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi,

I would like to try to set up an external hard drive (the big ones are just so inexpensive these days) to my wireless router (an Apple Airport Extreme) and use this to wirelessly back up all of my family's laptops (total of 4).

Is there any way to do this with SuperDuper!? I currently use it individually, and it works great, but I'd like to avoid the clutter of all the separate back up drives.

Thanks,

Boris

dnanian
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Well, yes, see "Backing up over a network" in the User's Guide, and the "Airport Disks" post at the Shirt Pocket blog. Note, though: none of the backups will be directly bootable, and networking backups are slow and inherently less reliable.

BorisMD
10-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks.

So, if I want a bootable back up, I still use a drive for each computer, and if I just want data backed up, I can do it over a network, but with inherently less reliability.

Regards,

Boris

dnanian
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
And less speed, yes.

pholaday
10-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Boris, you may already know this, but if you're willing to move a single physical drive around to the different computers, or move the different computers to the drive, you could still have bootable backups for all the computers on just one drive. All it would take would be to create multiple volumes of adequate size on that one physical drive.