PDA

View Full Version : Too much need for speed?

poikkeus
10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm backing up a fast G-Drive that has 500gigs storage. It currently is a little over half full. I back up every couple of days.

In my recent backups, I've noticed that it takes well over an hour, and sometimes longer to complete the operation. That's with Smart Backup enabled. Is there any way I can reduce the time it takes to back up? Should my backups take this long, or is this about right?

Thanks!

dnanian
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM
That all depends on what kinds of things you're copying, etc. Perhaps you can send your logs in to me so I can take a look: use "Send to shirt pocket" with "Error during copy" as the issue type.

poikkeus
10-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Before heeding your advice, I reserved about 2gigs of files from my main computer drive to an alternate backup where I keep multimedia files. My backup speed changed from well over an hour to around 20 minutes.

Most of these files are movie documents, audio books, and TV shows. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of where to find the "log" files that you'd referred to, or I'd be happy to send them to you.

It appears that I can keep the backup shorter by backing up fewer of those big video documents; when they're processing, they seem to process almost one at a time, and if they're a lot of them, the backup may take as long as an hour and a half.

dnanian
10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
That would generally indicate those files are changing...