PDA

View Full Version : Booting partition with Master Boot Record

tdurocher
10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I have an issue on my Macbook Pro/10.5.8 opposite to what many people are having. Inadvertently, I partitioned my new Verbatim Quad Interface with MBR, though the formatting is HFS w/Journal (connection is FW800). The thing is, contrary to the documentation, I CAN boot off the clone I made on one of the partitions on this drive! Tried it twice, checked About Mac for confirmation. Ran some sanity checks - the bootable clone worked just fine. I thought this information might be interesting to the community, but I also am concerned that somewhere down the line, I might be end up with a problem. However, I really don't want to go through the entire initial process (which involves copying Tme Machine) again. Do you thing this MBR thing is okay for my bootable drive?

The problem I AM having with this drive - hanging up the whole machine out of Sleep - is I'm guessing a problem with Time Machine and not SD. Although it is odd that my old external drive never exhibited this problem, and it did not have a SD partition on it. Any thoughts here would be appreciated? Thanks.

dnanian
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, most users cannot start up from MBR. Perhaps there are later versions of the ROM that allow it in your case: I don't know why it worked for you. But if it's working, and you're OK with it, and don't mind that it's not a supported configuration, you can certainly go ahead with it.

The other issue, well, sounds like a problem with the drive or some low-level driver... hard to say. Might help to open the Console application before you put it to sleep to see if anything is output to it that might prove useful.

tdurocher
10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks Dave. That is a good point about an "unsupported configuration". With support like you give, I do not want to be unsupported :). One of these days I'll get around to repartitioning without MBR....

dnanian
10-21-2009, 11:46 AM
It's more not supported by Apple than not supported by me...

tdurocher
10-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I see. Even more reason not to run with it, I guess....