PDA

View Full Version : "Back-up on mount" combined with "time scheduling"

Christophe
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Hello,
I am glad to welcome the very helpful "back-up on mount" feature but I have a small concern about the way it is designed when it talks about its combination with the scheduling feature.
My current backup plan is set to be run every week, twice a week, at a specific time.
As the "back-up on connect" feature is available, I'd like to replace the "time" trigger by the "connect" trigger in order to get the following backup plan: every week, twice a week, on back-up mount, whatever the time.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to disable the "time" in the out-of-the-box scheduling settings.
Any advice is welcome or, could be considered as a possible coming enhancement.
Thank you!

dnanian
10-14-2009, 05:58 PM
The two options are independent. If you want to back up only on connect, then don't check the top option...

Christophe
10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
The two options are independent. If you want to back up only on connect, then don't check the top option...
I know that, Dave. As mentioned above, I'd like to combine them and set up my backups twice a week (on wednesday + sunday) whenever in the day and just triggered by the mounting of the backup volume.

dnanian
10-14-2009, 06:41 PM
So that's fine. Again, they're independent settings, so set both and off you go.

Christophe
10-15-2009, 02:37 PM
So that's fine. Again, they're independent settings, so set both and off you go.
I know that both can be combined but what I want to do is to schedule the days (within the week) without having to schedule the time (within the day).
Indeed, I would like the event "volume mounted" to replace the event "due time" in order to launch the backup when the volume is connected, on specific days and whatever the time is (meaning, whenever in the day).
Unfortunately, when the parameter "on the following schedule" is active, the parameter "start copying at" can not be disabled separately. That's my concern.
Thank you for your help!

dnanian
10-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I kind of see what you mean here, but I just don't see the additional complexity involved here as paying off in a generally worthwhile way...

Christophe
10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I kind of see what you mean here, but I just don't see the additional complexity involved here as paying off in a generally worthwhile way...
As far as I understand the system works that way. It considers all the active parameters and it proceeds when ALL the parameters are OK (I guess it uses an "AND" statement).
If I set up both "on the following schedule" plus "when volume is connected", I suspect that, despite the volume is mounted, the backup will not start until the time is due, which, in my opinion, narrows down the relevance of the "backup on mount" feature which, again in my opinion, should trigger a "no delay" backup.

dnanian
10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
No, we use an "OR". When you connect the drive, it ALWAYS tries to back up. The two settings are ENTIRELY INDEPENDENT.

Christophe
10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
No, we use an "OR". When you connect the drive, it ALWAYS tries to back up. The two settings are ENTIRELY INDEPENDENT.
Oops! I was in error :o and misunderstood the way the settings have been implemented. That's more clear now and it should fit my needs.
Thank you for your patience :)

dnanian
10-15-2009, 06:30 PM
No problem, glad it's now clear(ish). :)