PDA

View Full Version : Names of a volume and its image

Kalkas
10-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I noticed a curious thing with a sparsebundle image. I made a sparsbundle image of the system drive, and let us say that the name of the system drive/volume is "Sistemos." The name of the sparsebundle image is "Current." When I restored the system from the image "Current," the name of the volume was changed, not longer called "Sistemos." Its name changed to "Current"; the same name as the sparsebundle image. I think that this does not occur when restoring from a dmg-image, i.e. the name of the volume is preserved with dmg-images.

I wish that the name of the volume were preserved when backing it up into a sparsebundle image. Is this possible? It seems that I must call the sparsebundle image with the same name as the backed up volume.

Any comments and suggestions about this problem?

Kind regards,
Aleksandar

dnanian
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
We don't actually set the name of the volume at all when copying, Aleksandar. If the name of the bundle is current, it's because that's what you named it. But when you restore from it, the name of the destination is retained... we don't touch it.

Kalkas
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
We don't actually set the name of the volume at all when copying, Aleksandar. If the name of the bundle is current, it's because that's what you named it. But when you restore from it, the name of the destination is retained... we don't touch it.

Well, the fact is that the name of the volume was changed. The name was not preserved. I restored the volume from the sparsebundle image using Disk Utilty. Is the Disk Utility that changes the name? Can the volume be restored by not using Disk Utilty?

Kind regards,
Alex

dnanian
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
It's possible that Disk Utility changed the name (I have no control over what Disk Utility does)... I don't know whether there's a way to control what Disk Utility does, but in a quick look over the UI I don't see one.

Of course, you can just change the name after the restore...

Kalkas
10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Can SD restore sparsebundle images?

dnanian
10-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Sure. Open the image, select its mounted bundle and copy it like any other.

Kalkas
10-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Sure. Open the image, select its mounted bundle and copy it like any other.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I will try to do so as your helpful answer suggests.

Kind regards,
Aleksandar