PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning an External for two machines

Geo
09-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Having been told by all-and-sundry that SD is wonderful, I have just downloaded the trial version and after reading the FAQ, have two questions (I shall post them separately).

Current set-up: 2 x PPC machines laptop partitioned into 3 and the 2 internal drives on the desktop into a total of 5.

I also have a Seagate FreeAgent Firewire 1TB external drive.

Should I partition the external drive into 3 (partitions 1 & 2 for the Clones of the OS of each computer and the third partition for all the data from the other partitions placed there through regular copying)

OR partition the external into 8 partitions, which seems a bit over-the-top? (I use Synk to synchronize the various separate data files, by the way.)

dnanian
09-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, you have five source volumes, so you should have five destination partitions/volumes. Not quite sure where the 8 came from...

Geo
09-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, you have five source volumes, so you should have five destination partitions/volumes. Not quite sure where the 8 came from...

Sorry, I did not make it clear enough. Laptop 3 and desktop 5 (2+3 over two internal drives) = 8 over both machines.

dnanian
09-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Ah. Well, then, 8 it is. You can't effectively combine the partitions into one for backup - just unwise...