PDA

View Full Version : Creating Bootable Image on USB Drive with SuperDuper!

coloradotechie
09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
So, this SuperDuper! program sounds awesome! However, I can't seem to find an answer to the following:

Can I create a bootable image of my 500 GB Intel iMac (10.4.11) on a 500 GB external USB drive?

I see two parts of this question:

Can I create a bootable image of my iMac on a USB drive using SuperDuper!?
Can I use a USB drive that is the same size as my hard drive to create the bootable image? (Note, I have 100 GB of free space on my mac HD right now).

I've tried to find the answer to these questions, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

dnanian
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Assuming the drive is properly initialized (see this FAQ (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5738)), yes. Intel Macs work fine with USB startup devices. And, yes, regarding size, you can use any drive that'll fit your data and have ~20% free space or so for OS X's own purposes when you're done.

coloradotechie
09-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Assuming the drive is properly initialized (see this FAQ (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5738)), yes. Intel Macs work fine with USB startup devices. And, yes, regarding size, you can use any drive that'll fit your data and have ~20% free space or so for OS X's own purposes when you're done.

This is WONDERFUL news! Now, I just have one more question: I'm thinking about purchasing a 1 TB external drive and I want to do the following:

Create a 500 GB bootable GUID partition on my new 1 TB drive for a SuperDuper! bootable image (~500 GB) and then use the rest of the space for extra storage (regular partition). From the other thread it seems that I can partition my 1 TB drive into two parts: a bootable GUID partition for my SuperDuper! image and then just another partition for my regular extra storage.

Am I correct in my thinking that this can be easily done?

Thanks!

dnanian
09-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes. But remember that your other partition isn't backed up unless you copy it, too.

coloradotechie
09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
:)

Thank you for your help!