PDA

View Full Version : Changing Discs and SD redoes it all over again

gorji
09-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi:

I currently use SuperDuper (SD) to back up my regular system, and an additional 2 external hard drives that house my music and pictures. So 3 drives with 3 seperate SuperDuper backups on 3 additional drives (each gets SD to its own drive).

I moved my pictures from a 500 GB hard drive to a 1 TB one as I was running out of space on my smaller drive. I then ran SD to backup these pictures from the 1TB drive to a previously SD drive which has basically the same files/folders except perhaps 10MB new pics.

Problem: SD is basically copying the newer entire drive to the older SD disc.
I am smartupdating it.

Any explanation please?

gorji
09-13-2009, 07:55 AM
An update:
I am 1:51 into the update. I have enclosed a pic of SD and also one of the Finder views of my two disc.
I want to solve this problem as I have big drives and lots of data to backup. Plus I really like the program.

dnanian
09-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't know what to say: the files are different, or have moved, which is why they're being recopied... when you moved your pictures from the 500GB to the 1TB drive, did you use SuperDuper?

gorji
09-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi:

Aha!!! No I did not use Super Duper to move the files from my old drive to the 1TB one. Some of the folders are different; there was minor reorganization of a few files but the answer is probably that I basically dragged all the files from the old drive to the new one; I did not think of using SD because I was thinking of SD as a backup program. Perhaps there lies the problem.

I will wait for your reply and thank you for your time.

dnanian
09-13-2009, 08:17 PM
There's not much else to say: this is likely why it's recopying.

gorji
09-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Great. A lesson learned then.
Thank you
Gorji