PDA

View Full Version : Network Backup

tgenereaux
09-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi Dave

Is it better to use sparse bundle or sparse image or read only image for backing up over a network and how would i restore if i have a problem.

Terry

P.S. Dave a great piece of software keep up the hard work...

dnanian
09-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, sparse bundles are more efficient, so I'd use those if possible.

To restore, you'd either move the image/bundle locally and follow the steps in the User's Guide, or create a small boot device (e.g. a USB stick) that contains a basic OSX install with SuperDuper!, connect to the server, open the image, and use SD! to copy from that volume back to the internal.

Luis_vxd
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Dave

I'm new here (just register).
Maybe is out of this thread and maybe of this forum as well but you just mention something that might be a solution for my problem. USB stick with basic OSX install. How can I do it?
Not from my original CD (10.3.1 or so) but from what I got in my MBP (10.5.8). I saw several options on internet but all of them use the original CD.
My question is: using a USB disk to boot with SD! can SD! restore the entire disk from a disk image?
Considering that the USB disk got an older OS X version will SD! restore the harddrive with the latest backup OS X version?

Many thanks in advance

Luis

dnanian
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
You'd basically just install OSX to the stick, using your MBP's DVD... definitely don't use 10.3...

Luis_vxd
09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
HI Dave

Thanks for your reply.
I thought when you said "basic OS X install with SD!" that you had a way to install a bare skeleton of OS X just to run SD!. I said "10.3.1 or so" because I'm on the road and do not remember what was the version. it was Leopard anyway.:)
My question still remains: If you boot from a USB stick with an older OS X version and do a full restore from an disk image that contains a later OS X version which OS X version will be restored, the one on the USB or the one on the backup?

I apologize if I'm asking a silly question. I got a long way with windows but I'm new with Mac.

Regards

Luis

dnanian
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
It's unlikely that a 10.3.x startup will be able to properly restore 10.5.x or later, Luis.