PDA

View Full Version : New User Question

gasport
08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
When you talk about creating a clone of your MAC hard drive, I assume this means that you are just using Backup - all files and initially using erase all then copy. Subsequent backups using Smart Updates just brings the original copy to an exact duplicate of the current state. If I want to restore the "clone" I would just use the boot option on the MAX to boot from the clone HD?

I also read that the external HD has to be partitioned as GUID Partition Table and the filesystem as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". If it is not formatted this way it will not boot from the external HD?

Thanks in advance but I am a bit confused coming from the Windows environment. :o

dnanian
08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
I try to not talk about creating a "clone" actually. You're making a copy, or a backup. And yes, "Backup - all files" with Smart Update or Erase, then copy.

If an Intel Mac, it should be partitioned as GUID and formatted as HFS+ (one of the Mac OS Extended variants) or it won't boot.

gasport
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the formatting information. I did not know that you had to format it that way....:o