PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper! at a crawl

Nick
08-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I have SD! scheduled to run late every night; my computer is scheduled to sleep several hours later.

Usually, it takes about a half-hour to an hour (depending on what I might be doing at the time) for SD! to complete its Smart Update. When my machine woke up this morning, however, SD! was still running.

I then realized that a while before SD! had began its backup, I had initiated a ClamXav scan, and it also was still running (I had mistakenly told it to scan my entire Home folder!). So, I quit ClamXav, fully expecting SD! to quickly finish its routine. However, it's still moving at a crawl (0.20 MB/s).

Should I expect SD! to return to its normal speed, or do I need to first quit and restart SD!?

dnanian
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Hard to say - I don't know why things are going slowly. What kind of backup drive are you using?

Nick
08-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Hard to say - I don't know why things are going slowly. What kind of backup drive are you using?

Same one I've always used: Seagate FireWire 800/Icy Dock enclosure (got them last September).

dnanian
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I'd try stopping it and restarting your Mac. Something seems wrong there... shouldn't be running that slowly.

Nick
08-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd try stopping it and restarting your Mac. Something seems wrong there... shouldn't be running that slowly.

Will tell SD! to Stop, then restart my Mac and restart SD!

I'll get back to you in perhaps 20 minutes.

Nick
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, restarting everything seemed to work. The backup initially proceeded very slowly again; after a while, it picked up speed. It took about a half hour to complete (which is what I'd call "normal").

I'm puzzled what the problem may have been. :confused:

Oh well.

dnanian
08-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Me too. Don't know why it would run that slowly unless there was some sort of active error/failure going on.

Nick
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Me too. Don't know why it would run that slowly unless there was some sort of active error/failure going on.

Anything "obvious" that might stand out in the SD! log or my system log?

dnanian
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Well, you could look at the previous backup's log to see if there were any errors/retries indicated.

Nick
08-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Well, you could look at the previous backup's log to see if there were any errors/retries indicated.
I looked in the SD! Logs folder and perused the various logs. There was nothing that was obvious to me (but not knowing what's "normal," it's really hard for me to tell). The only thing that I noticed was that in addition to the .sdlog Log files were a few .sdlog.diagnostics Document files (from today, as well as yesterday, when I didn't have any SD! problems). I opened them using TextEdit, but in that format they were very difficult to read/understand.

dnanian
08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Let's see if you have a problem moving forward, Nick. If so, then we'll use that log as the basis for discussion.

Nick
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Let's see if you have a problem moving forward, Nick. If so, then we'll use that log as the basis for discussion.

Sounds like a plan. ;)

Thanks (once again!) for your help, Dave.