PDA

View Full Version : Internal harddrive size DOUBLED after using SD

greatbrit
08-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Big Problem! I'm using the TRIAL version of SD. Love the speed, but now feeling the burn after backing up my internal HD, to an external.

All seemed to be fine until I looked at the disk size on my internal drive which DOUBLED after using SD.

Please help!!! My drive is now practically full and I don't know what happened or where to go to delete what I suspect to be a lingering copy of the copy or backup on my HD.

Have found only one thread in the forum on this, but still unclear on how to proceed.

Thank you!

dnanian
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, I don't know what happened, because I don't have any details. Did you back up to an image stored on your startup drive as well as to the backup drive?

greatbrit
08-04-2009, 02:34 AM
Well, I don't know what happened, because I don't have any details. Did you back up to an image stored on your startup drive as well as to the backup drive?
Here are the steps I took as per the SD instructions:

1) Formatted my new SimpleTech external (1TB) hard drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). (NO partitions on either drive.)
2) In SD, selected "Back up ALL Files" from my internal 750 Gig harddrive on my iMac, to the external drive. (No images or sandboxes created or involved.) A true straightforward "back-up".
3) Got no errors in SD, before or after the back up had completed.
4) External drive seemed to handle the internal's original 256 Gig w/o any problems.
5) HOWEVER, checked the internal's hard drive size after the back-up, and it had ballooned to 540 Gig.

Any help appreciated.

***Another unrelated question: Is it okay to use 2 or even 3 diff. tools to backup a drive, or is that asking for trouble? Your site says SD is compatible with TimeMachine, now that tool doesn't recognize my external drive

dnanian
08-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Eject the backup drive and then use Finder's "Go To Folder" command to open

/Volumes

Are there any folders in there with the name of the backup drive? (Not links/aliases, but folders.)