PDA

View Full Version : using SD to backup to G4 iBook

Chuck Silverman
07-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Just received my new 13" MacBook Pro. I want to backup to my iBook G4 once a day (I want the iBook to "look like" the new MBP) and also to an external FW drive. Can I do this with SD? I am willing to pay for another copy of the s/w if necessary.

dnanian
07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
You can, just put the iBook into "FireWire Target Disk Mode" and copy to it, and the drive (two separate schedules).

Chuck Silverman
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
You can, just put the iBook into "FireWire Target Disk Mode" and copy to it, and the drive (two separate schedules).

This is just with Target Disk Mode, not with Super Duper, correct?

Also, I'm just about to repartion my ext. FW drive as GUID so I can use SD with my Intel Mac. Wish me luck. Any comments or directions for me?

Thanks DAve

Chuck

dnanian
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
You'd copy with SuperDuper: TDM just puts the iBook into a mode that lets SD! copy directly to it.

Chuck Silverman
07-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Dave

Excuse the many questions. OK, I'm going to repartition my external FW drive as GUID, as I now will use my Intel Mac with SD. Is this correct?

You'd copy with SuperDuper: TDM just puts the iBook into a mode that lets SD! copy directly to it.

Can you, if possible, take me through the steps of using TDM with my iBook and MBP> I know how to start TDM. No prob there. Once I am looking at my iBook HD on my MBP screen, (Do I do this the other way around, i.e. look at my MBP HD on the iBook?) what then do I do regarding Super Duper?

Man, thanks if you can respond to this. I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Chuck S

dnanian
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
You just use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" to copy from the MBP to the iBook, Chuck. There's no real trick.

And, yes, you'll repartition your external FW with GUID to use it with your Intel Mac. But don't repartition the iBook - that should be left APM.

Chuck Silverman
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
hey Dave

Does Shirt Pocket accept donations? No jive, just to show you a little appreciation

CS

dnanian
07-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't, Chuck, no - it's my pleasure to help.