PDA

View Full Version : Backing up (SD) on LaCie Drive

tuni
06-25-2009, 02:59 PM
I haven't backed up my SD (biggest partition) backup (or Sandbox - small partition) which are both on my LaCie 500GB drive.

Should I be doing so? If so, how would I do it? I think:

1. I'd have to attach another external drive to back up the LaCie
2. How would I set SD to backup the SD backup to another external drive

Can this be done/Should this be done?

clueless,
tuni:confused:

dnanian
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. You're not backing up your backup, you mean? Or you're not backing up?

tuni
06-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Dave,
I'm definitely backing up with SD - I love it! But, I saw something in a post on this forum about backing up the backup!!! I guess, in case the external with the SD backup dies! One can be totally ridiculous with backups, but maybe having a spare backup of my backup drive (sounds silly) might not be a bad idea???

Since both my SD backup and my Sandbox backup are on the external LaCie 500 FW, if I did lose that, I wouldn't have any backup other than what TM does on my iMac.

????

Sorry to confuse things,
t:confused:

dnanian
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
You can certainly make more than one backup - say, a daily and a weekly. But I wouldn't back up your backup. I'd make a second backup.

tuni
06-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Dave,
<make a second backup>...

I think you mean buy and set up another external drive for a SD backup? So I'd alternate between backing up to ext. drive A and B? Disconnect A, connect B - and vice versa?

If that is so, would it be best to partition the "new" drive for both SD and Sandbox like the older one?

????

dnanian
06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, another drive, but you wouldn't alternate. Just set one to back up, say, every Sunday, and the other to back up daily. There's no need to back up your Sandbox.

tuni
06-27-2009, 09:31 AM
thx dave,
Am looking around for a good deal on a 500GB FW - just to complicate things, TM has started deleting old backups on my other external drive Maxtor 1 touch. <sigh> Looks like I have to look for 2 additional b/u externals.

Its annoying the TM (as I understand it) will copy all the old backups on to any new external drive I install thus wasting a heckofalot of space.

<more sighs>
:(

dnanian
06-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Well, it's generally a mistake to think of Time Machine as an 'archive'. It's kind of like the "if you haven't unpacked that box after 5 years, throw it away" rule - if it's starting to delete old backups, they're probably backups you don't really need...

It's pretty easy to find a LaCie d2 Quadra for ~$100 or so, lots of interfaces, good drive, cables, etc.