PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled back up app shutdown?

undisclosedp
06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi There,

Brand new SuperDuper user and totally stoked to finally have a decent backup solution for my MacBook Pro. I have a question that i'm sure has been asked before but I'm not really sure what to search for on the forum to find my answer, so apologies in advance.

I'm using a 15" Unibody MacBook Pro (not one of the newest ones, sigh) that I cart too and from work every day. My current plan is to keep a 320gb drive at work to backup too, then at a later another drive at home. So that I have an off site backup at all times. Since this is a Laptop, I cannot guarantee that I will be at my desk with the drive plugged in at the same time every week/day/whatever so I don't think the scheduled backup option will work for me.

In reading the Super Duper documentation you suggest that I quit all active apps before for I start a back up, so my first question is, how essential is it that I do that?

Secondly, If it is essential to do that, is there a way for me to quit all my active apps, run the back up, and relaunch them when its done. That way I can run a backup quickly when I go away from my desk for 20 minutes say for lunch, but come back to having my apps open.

Looking forward to your replies

UDP

sjk
06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
In reading the Super Duper documentation you suggest that I quit all active apps before for I start a back up, so my first question is, how essential is it that I do that?
The general idea is not to be writing data while SD! is running, but certain background system daemons that always run (e.g. syslogd) can occasionally do it though that's never been an issue for me. Quitting active GUI apps (e.g. Mail, Safari, etc.) before SD! is running is recommended (as you've noticed in the documentation) though it's not always essential and can sometimes be inconvenient or impossible.

is there a way for me to quit all my active apps, run the back up, and relaunch them when its done.
I vaguely remember noticing an app session saver/launcher on MacUpdate/VersionTrack awhile ago that might be usable for that but any further details elude me now. There's Suspend Session (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26371/suspend-session) but from the description it doesn't sound like what you'd be looking for.