PDA

View Full Version : Backup removable storage.

flashkube
06-05-2009, 01:00 AM
So I've got SuperDuper! backing up my MacBook's internal drive to a NAS device. That is working perfectly. In the event of a failure I'll have my system up and running in no time.

All of my data, though, is on an external USB drive that I carry with me from computer to computer. I can't seem to find the option in SuperDuper! that will allow me to backup my external USB drive to my NAS device the same way I am with my internal drive. The external only shows up as a destination, not a source.

Please help.

Thank you kindly,
Daniel

dnanian
06-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Sounds like your USB drive isn't formatted as HFS+, for the Mac.

flashkube
06-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh, that's too bad. This external drive moves back and forth between a Mac and PC so I need it to be FAT. Will it show up if I install MacFUSE?

Thank you.

dnanian
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
No: we can't back up to a Windows formatted drive. Perhaps install PC/Mac drive for your PC?

flashkube
06-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Seems as though ChronoSync does this. I'll have to go with that product. Thanks for your help. :)

securityminded
06-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Seems as though ChronoSync does this. I'll have to go with that product. Thanks for your help. :)

Dave, as a paying SD user, I wanted to let you know that I am glad SD doesn't support FAT. I hope you never add support for it. It would do nothing but cause needless coding and problems. SD is for Mac, not Windows.

dnanian
06-06-2009, 10:59 AM
It's not something we plan do to: it's hard enough to ensure that copying is done properly for HFS+ -- tripling that effort to add FAT and NTFS support isn't something we're terribly interested in...