PDA

View Full Version : SD /VmWare/XP/Quicken

tuni
05-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Upon SD's boot from my LaCie external drive and entering data in VmWare WinXP-Quicken, I find that the data I enter while operating from the SD backup is NOT carried over when I again reboot to the iMac.

When using Quicken (I'm not online with Quicken) I also backup to a desktop icon on the Mac. Just found out today, that the data I entered while running from the SD backup, is NOT backed up on to the iMac desktop icon.

I don't know if this is new problem or just that I never discovered before?????

If I had to use my SD backup (in case my iMac failed) I would surely want to be able to enter and retain the data....:confused:

Help..

dnanian
05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand at all here, tuni. Why would the data you enter when running from the backup get "Carried Over" to the Mac? You're on the backup... you'd need to RESTORE to get the data to come back, no?

tuni
05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I checked again, booting up from SD, entering data in Quicken (VmWare/XP) and the Quicken b/u file (on the iMac) IS updated. (my bad...)

I had only looked at "Cmd i) for information on the entire icon which showed only the dates it was created & modified (Jan 2008). Then I "opened" the Quicken icon , searched for the "qdf" file which is really what gets backed up, did a "Cmd i" again and sure enough the data was updated.

I just didn't look in the right place... :(

I'm therefore assuming that while I'm running from SD, if I backed up this to my Quicken b/u CD, the CD would also be updated with today's data entries. Haven't tried, but its a logical assumption (hopefully???).

as always, thanks again. for your prompt help and support.
tuni

dnanian
05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure I understand how your data is stored, tuni, but as long as you're sure you're looking at the right stuff...