PDA

View Full Version : Tangled web

kfalconer
05-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I have created a mess for myself. I have an older mac powerbook, which has been backed up to two ext. hard drives. I recently tried to backup to one of the two drives but ran out of space so now the drives have slightly different backups. To add to the mess, I have a new MacBook Pro which I also need to backup.
I have managed to completely confuse myself. All I want to do now is make sure I have a full backup of my PowerBook and then sync the PowerBook and MacBook backups.
At that point I hope to keep up on my backups of both machines.
I am using Super Duper! and running Leopard on both machines.
What would you do in my situation? Any help?

dnanian
05-12-2009, 06:43 AM
What do you mean by you want to "sync" the PowerBook and MacBook (Pro, I assume) Backups? Are you backing up each Mac to its own drive?

kfalconer
05-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I was thinking I would like to backup both laptops to the same drive. Really all I want is for all of my photos and music, from both laptops, to be backed up to the same location on an external drive. So confused.

dnanian
05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
You can't really do that. You can partition the drive into two volumes, one for each source, and back up each to its own partition, but you can't "mix" the two as you're trying to do.

kfalconer
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I have discovered the the best way to get what I want is to first sync the macs, so the same files are on both machines, then back up both to different partitions. Any suggestions on syncing the macs or is that out of your realm?

dnanian
05-12-2009, 12:07 PM
There are various programs to sync iTunes Libraries (e.g. Syncopation). iPhoto, I don't know. But both can be 'shared' from one Mac to another... perhaps more sensible?

kfalconer
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
ok, thanks!