PDA

View Full Version : clone from non-intel to intel

sparker1962
04-14-2009, 11:57 AM
My G5 non-intel processor logic board went bad the other day and I'm considering buying another G5. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use SuperDuper to clone my old system to a new intel based system?

dnanian
04-14-2009, 11:58 AM
No, you can't copy from a Power PC to an Intel directly (unless you're using Leopard)...

sparker1962
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Yes, I have the latest OS of Leopard 10.5.6. Is there any know problems that I might run into? What about my software apps that require product activation, Adobe Photoshop, Flash, iTunes, etc. Unfortunately when my logic board died, I didn't deactivate any of my apps.

dnanian
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
I think the easiest thing to do would be to use the built-in feature to do the copy. When you FIRST start your new Mac, it'll ask you if you want to "copy from another Mac".

Point that at your backup. It'll bring in your applications and data.

Your copy protected applications will likely not work and will have to be re-activated on the new computer.

sparker1962
04-14-2009, 04:21 PM
You mean my copy protected applications won't work if I use the SuperDuper copy method or they won't work if I use the "built-in" feature when I first start up my new mac?

dnanian
04-14-2009, 06:16 PM
They're not likely to work for either, because you're on a different Mac - these applications are typically tied to the hardware.

sparker1962
04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all your help. These forums are great!

t3rockhall
04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
They're not likely to work for either, because you're on a different Mac - these applications are typically tied to the hardware.

Also, some other (usually small) apps (and drivers) may not work -- there are often separate PPC and Intel versions of various apps. You'll have to check them one by one, or wait to see it they run when you ask them to.

Circe525
04-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Sparker---
I just did exactly what you're looking forward to. My iSight died and I bought a new Intel G5. I just got everything copied from SuperDuper just as Dave said, and it worked flawlessly. All files and apps came over and functioned as they should. I'm in the process now of copying new HD over to external with SD. Don't forget, you have to partition the external as GUID--I followed Dave's instructions on that and everything is going great!