PDA

View Full Version : Using SuperDuper to migrate to larger HDD

surfmonkey89
04-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I currently have one 500GB HDD that's almost full, so I've purchased two 1TB drives that I'm going to raid as one 2TB drive. I want to migrate everything I have on my 500GB to the larger drive and use it as my new boot drive.

I already use SD to do nightly backups, and after reading the documentation again I'm wondering if I can also use it to migrate everything to this new configuration.

Can I just run a full "backup" from the smaller drive to the larger one and set the new one as the startup disk?

Seems like that would work, but this isn't something I want to try and screw up, so I thought I'd ask in advance.

thanks

dnanian
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes. Lots of other examples of doing this on the forums - just make sure that you partition the drive properly, and name it the same as the original when you're ready to run from it.

surfmonkey89
04-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Just to be clear, I'm going from:
- 1 500GB drive called Macintosh HD to
- 1 2TB drive called "foobar", and the 1 500GB mentioned above

I was then going to take the 500GB drive and use it as a Time Machine backup.

Do I still really have to call the 2TB striped drive "Macintosh HD"? The documentation doesn't seem to do that in the examples.

Sorry I missed this in other threads, I guess I just didn't look closely enough. I'll go troll through some of those too just to make sure.

thanks again,
paul

dnanian
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Yes, it's best to call it Macintosh HD.