PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Copy ACL's?

Enigmacode
03-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Hello

Dave Nanian recently assured me that I could actually use Super Duper in a Leopard environment to back up using Smart Update, then return both drives
to the Tiger environment from whence they came.

Why would I want to do this anyway? Because I was just looking for a way to Multi-Task using two G5's, one with Tiger, the other with Leopard. I thought I could perform lengthy Back Ups that can tie up your computer with one system, while doing other things with the other.

My G5 with Leopard is NOT the computer I use most of the time. It's mainly for secondary functions. The G5 with Tiger is the system I use for all important functions like Final Cut etc.

I just wanna make sure about ACL's
http://www.locationstudio.net/NO.jpg

As I understand it, the Prompt is there because obviously Super Duper is in a Leopard environment. ACL's are NOT a component of Tiger. Correct?

Is it still safe to go ahead and perform a Back Up with ACL's UNCHECKED?

Thanx
Mike

dnanian
03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Wait, Mike - I what? Can you refer me to the post you're referring to? I want to make sure I understand what I was trying to say -- in context -- before I reply again.

I do not suggest unchecking the ACL option, no. If ACLs are disabled, we won't copy them, which is fine. They are supported by Tiger (disabled by default, except on server), they're buggy there...

Enigmacode
03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi Dave

The option to Copy ACL's when I do Smart Update in my Tiger system is 'GREYED OUT'. With this I assumed ACL's were a component of just Leopard? What are they? Are they important, because with all the back ups I've performed so far, the option was either unavailable, or UNCHECKED.

My original question was;
Could I actually use Super Duper in a Leopard environment to back up using Smart Update, then return both EXTERNAL drives to the Tiger environment from whence they came? Bear in mind, these External Drives are NOT bootable drives. They are all used for Media storage only.

I had asked this a few weeks ago, and you said 'yes'

Why would I want to do this anyway? Because I was just looking for a way to Multi-Task using two G5's, one with Tiger, the other with Leopard. I thought I could perform lengthy Back Ups that can tie up your computer with one system, while doing other things with the other.

My G5 with Leopard is NOT the computer I use most of the time. It's mainly for secondary functions. The G5 with Tiger is the system I use for all important functions like Final Cut etc.

Here's the original post, but don't wrack your brain :)
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5060

Thanx
Mike

dnanian
03-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Copy ACLs is grayed out because ACLs are disabled on that system. So, there's nothing to set.

Just to be clear: you can use a disk in Leopard and bring it back to Tiger, yes. The original thrust of the question was "can I copy a Leopard disk with Tiger" and my answer was, basically, don't do that. The other way is fine - but what I was getting at above was that you can't easily "revert" a Leopard OS install to Tiger.

Enigmacode
03-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi Dave

What are ACL's? Are they important? Because with all the back ups I've performed so far, the option was either unavailable, or UNCHECKED.

As you said ACL's are disabled in my Tiger system. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanx
Mike

dnanian
03-23-2009, 09:43 PM
ACLs are access control lists, enhanced security attributes available under Tiger Server and Leopard.

They should always be copied if the checkbox is available, and checked is the default. If it was unchecked, it's likely because you unchecked it.

ACLs are disabled on all client Tiger systems unless you make an effort to enable them (don't).

Enigmacode
03-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok Thanx Dave
(and please stay with me on this)

"ACLs are disabled on all client Tiger systems unless you make an effort to enable them (don't)."

In this case, as I explained above, I will NOT put a check mark in for them, when I'm using Super Duper in my Leopard system. The option isn't there in Tiger, so there is NO need to copy them now if these external disks are only going right back into the Tiger system.

Please agree with me :)

Thanx
Mike

dnanian
03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
As long as you have no plan to use the files again on Leopard, that should be fine.

Enigmacode
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Dave thanx

But one last thing;
Even if I ever upgrade both my system drives to Leopard, why would these External Disks that have been backed up, (without ACL's), be rendered unusable?

Or problematic in any way?

They are only used for Media Storage - they are not system drives - they are not bootable

Couldn't I still acess them thru Leopard (same as I do now?) I'm already doing that.

Mike

dnanian
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes, you can access them. My point is that by copying them without ACLs, you're stripping out Leopard-specific information. Which means it doesn't fully reflect the source. If you want to have a true Leopard backup, ACLs should be copied, too.

Enigmacode
03-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes but;

Sounds like a 'Catch 22'

You've already warned whilst using Super Duper in a Tiger environment;

"ACLs are disabled on all client Tiger systems unless you make an effort to enable them (don't)"

????

dnanian
03-24-2009, 06:23 PM
No, it's not a catch 22. You copied them, but they're ignored on the Tiger machine.

Enigmacode
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Ok Thanx Dave

I guess you've had enough of me :eek:

You've been great as usual! ;)