PDA

View Full Version : kernal panic sandbox - vmware

tuni
03-13-2009, 01:28 PM
This has happened a couple of times now. When booting from Sand Box and then going to VMWare to access my XP Quicken, I'll get a pop-up stating kernal panic and some note about if this was Windows yada...yada....yada....

I just wait a few minutes, the black box pop-up (kernal panic notification) disappears, the Windows desktop screen slowly reappears, I click on it and all (seems to) be well.

I can't remember if this has happened re-booting from my main SD backup too....I think so.

However this only happens when going to the VmWare XP folder.

I thought it might be a "permissions" issue but checked my iMac preferences and it shows "permissions" to share VmWare as "custom"....just showing my name (administrator).

Am wondering if I should be doing anything different with permissions sharing or ????

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sure a kernal panic while using SD from my external LaCie drive (partitioned for my main backup and sandbox only) is not a good thing!

thx,
tuni

dnanian
03-13-2009, 05:08 PM
That's not a kernel panic in Mac OS X, though - that's a kernel panic in Windows. Weird. Only once?

tuni
03-14-2009, 11:30 AM
No, Dave,

Not only once - it happens each time I boot from Sandbox/or SD main b/u - when I go to the VmWare XP folder - but it does happen ONLY ONCE each time. for instance, if I go back to VmWare again to do something in Quicken that I forgot the 1st time I used the folder, there is no problem - only happens the first time in each boot up????

It thought it might have something to do with sharing, since I'm booting from a different (external) hard drive but maybe that makes no sense either???

Any thoughts?

It (the problem) does seem to "fix" itself but this can't be a good message!

many thanks,

dnanian
03-14-2009, 12:48 PM
VMWare must not be happy that its VM files are at a slightly different path (due to the sharing/symlink); I'm not sure what we can do about that... but you can report it to the VMWare folks.

tuni
03-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately, Dave, I've tried that in the past w/other problems/questions and their customer service is not as readily available nor understandable as yours....<sigh>:mad:

What we get here from SD & you, is really rare and great!:)

But, tell me one thing. Do you think any damage is being caused by that kernal fault? Will it do anything to SD or to my iMac or to XP in your estimation? I can live with it, but it makes me uncomfortable since I'm far from techie (as you know)

thx

dnanian
03-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't think it'll hurt anything, but what I'd suggest is not "sleeping" the VM if it's going to do this. Instead, make sure you're all saved on disk, that way the panic won't cause any data loss if it only happens once, on your first run past creating the Sandbox.

tuni
03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Dave,

Sorry to sound like a doofus here however, I probably "are" one ;)

I'm not sure that what I'm thinking is what you're saying so please just bear with me on this re: the kernal panic issue:

Are you saying that when I get ready to run SD (whether on Sandbox or the main SD backup) I might be better off not "suspending" VmWare but rather "exiting or quitting it?"

If I do that (quit or exit VmWare) land then run SD using Smart Backup (which I usually do) or even if I run "copy all files" would SD still backup the VmWare folder (even though I've closed it instead of "suspending" it) and any changes to the Quicken (XP) within it?

The answer is probably obvious however, I'm just not sure....

Many thanks again for your patience.

tuni

dnanian
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Of course. The files are copied whether VMWare's suspended or shut down.