PDA

View Full Version : Error Message - not sure what to do next ..?

williamB
03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi, for the first time ever since using SuperDuper , ive just had to try and restore my OS ( Leopard 10.5.6 ) on my iMac, from my external HDD ( firewire ) and in the Disk Utility , ive entered my external HDD in the Source box, and entered my internal HDD in the Destination, and ticked Erase destination. When I click Restore , I get this message ..

Restore Failure

could not erase target - Operation not permitted

I am not sure what to try next ? , any ideas Please .. :confused:

chris_johnsen
03-13-2009, 02:37 AM
Did you boot from your backup first (reboot with the drive attached, hold down Option until the boot menu appears, select the backup volume once the menu is done refreshing)? You can not erase or restore to the current boot volume. You can restore from or backup from the boot volume, but not erase or completely rewrite it.

I apologize if this is not the case. I tried using Disk Utility to restore onto my current boot drive and got the error message you indicated (I am on 10.4 though).

williamB
03-13-2009, 04:16 AM
Did you boot from your backup first (reboot with the drive attached, hold down Option until the boot menu appears, select the backup volume once the menu is done refreshing)? You can not erase or restore to the current boot volume. You can restore from or backup from the boot volume, but not erase or completely rewrite it.

I apologize if this is not the case. I tried using Disk Utility to restore onto my current boot drive and got the error message you indicated (I am on 10.4 though).

Hi Chris, yes I did first boot from my external HDD, ive been doing regular backup's for Months now , only to find that when I really need Super Duper
this happens .. :(

dnanian
03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Are you running from your backup drive? If so, restore with SuperDuper, not with Disk Utility - use "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update".