PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Retrospect Backup?

Charles218
03-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I've used SD for the past year or so to do nightly backups of my main drive, it has worked flawlessly. In addition, I do archive backups every other night with Retrospect. I just purchased a larger drive to store the Retrospect backups and would like to transfer all of my current Retrospect backups to the new drive and then continue as though nothing had changed. After searching and searching I can not find a way to transfer the files to the new drive through Retrospect. Is it possible to use SD to make a clone of my current Retrospect backup onto the new drive and then have Retrospect recognize it without complaining? On the surface it seems like it should work except I know that Retrospect is rather complex and may not be tricked into thinking that it is seeing the same drive.

dnanian
03-13-2009, 08:16 AM
As long as it's just regular data, I can't see why not (although it's not something I've tested). I'd name the new drive the same as the original.

tuni
03-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Charles, (sorry to horn in on your thread but ?)
This is a bit OT, however, I've heard that Retrospect has been purchased by another company (I don't know who) and may not be able to honor any updates, tech support etc....Do you know anything about this?
thx,
Tuni

Charles218
03-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. I just read on a different forum that a Windows user tried copying, not sure if he cloned or just copied, all of his data over to a larger drive. He then found that Retrospect did not recgonize the additional space on the new drive, it treated the new drive as only having as much space as the smaller older drive. I think I might give it a try though I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this or any other method of moving to a larger drive.

Charles

Charles218
03-19-2009, 09:23 AM
One of the experienced posters on the Retrospect Forum advised me that since my backup set was a "file backup" that all I needed to do was to copy the data from the old drive over to the new dry. I used SD and cloned to the new drive, then told Retrospect where the data was, since it could not find the old drive, and it worked flawlessly. It sounds as though it would have worked to just drag the items to the new drive but I felt more secure using SD. So this worked without a problem, but note that it a "file backup set" and may not work with other types.

Charles