View Full Version : Does SD Work OK With 'Users' on Different Volume?
02-24-2004, 04:39 AM
I use a partitioned drive with Users on a separate volume (Applications is on the same volume as the System). This is referenced by the System volume using a symlink. Will the Safety Clone operation of SD cope with this arrangement, as it also uses a symlink to Users and Applications?
02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
I too have my Users volume on a separate partition. Although the stock copy script "Safety clone - shared users and applications" works properly, I have created my own copy script that overrides the sharing of Users with a copy. Because Users is a folder on the source drive that is used as a mount point for my Users partition, it simply means that SuperDuper! will copy the folder and not your Users drive.
I recommend that you do the following:
1. Launch SuperDuper! and choose New Copy Script from the File Menu
2. Enter some descriptive text to describe what your copy script will do
3. Make sure that the "Allow the user to select this script" is enabled
4. Click the Included Scripts tab and click the + button at the bottom of the screen. Navigate to the Standard Scripts folder and choose the "Safety clone - shared users and applications" to include it.
This means that your script will include the commands listed in the safety clone script
5. Next click the "Script Commands" tab. Using the browser in the bottom half of the screen, navigate to the Users folder and click Add Item. In the top half, click the command popup and change "ignore" to "copy". This step adds a command to override the command to share Users with a command to copy Users.
6. Click close and save your script a name to your liking (e.g. Safety clone - shared applications).
You have just written a script that will includes the stock Safety clone script that we will maintain overtime but you added a directive that overrides the sharing of Users with a copy of Users to meet your specific needs.
Give it a try and let us know how this works for you,
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.