PDA

View Full Version : bash script to mount/unmount your SuperDuper drive

luomat
03-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I mentioned on the Twitter that I had written this little script and was a little proud of it and @dnanian suggested I post about it here

Well, it was easier to post (with pictures, etc) to my website

http://tntluoma.com/shell-scripts/superduper-script-automatic-mount-unmount/

if that doesn't work (line breaks), try

http://tntluoma.com/?p=1307

I hope you find it useful.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

It will automatically mount and unmount the drive you use for SuperDuper. All you have to do is fill in your drive name, and a few other simple things.

If you are totally unfamiliar with the commandline (Terminal.app) this may not be for you. I can't promise to help everyone get it working, but provide it here for others who can use it.

ps - I'm http://twitter.com/luomat on Twitter if you'd like to connect there

dnanian
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Great, and thanks for sharing!

One little hidden feature for those of you who don't know: SuperDuper will automatically mount and unmount drives when you run scheduled copies. If the drive is not mounted when the schedule fired we'll mount, copy and unmount completely automatically.

This only happens with scheduled copies, though.

Enjoy, and thanks again.

luomat
03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Well damn, then this whole thing is kind of unnecessary for me :-)

Oh well, learning experience.

dnanian
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
No, not unnecessary at all if you want to do it manually. Plus, awesome learning experience, no? :-)

franconi
07-07-2009, 04:44 AM
SuperDuper will automatically mount and unmount drives when you run scheduled copies. If the drive is not mounted when the schedule fired we'll mount, copy and unmount completely automatically.

This only happens with scheduled copies, though.

I am not sure that I get this behaviour.
I want to copy a disk which is not mounted to another disk which is not mounted. It seems to me that SD will mount on the fly the target disk, but it will NOT mount consistently the source disk.
Am I doing something wrong?
cheers
--e.

dnanian
07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
That's correct, we'll mount the backup drive but not the source.

franconi
07-07-2009, 08:36 AM
That's correct, we'll mount the backup drive but not the source.

:-(

Is there any reason for that?
Is there any chance that in a future release SD will mount the source drive?

cheers
--e.

dnanian
07-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Well, mostly because it seems a bit weird to try to back up drives that aren't mounted at all... it's one thing to try to keep your backup drive "offline" to save wear/tear and reduce the chance for modification, but it's another thing entirely to do that with both the backup and the source.

Why are you doing this?

franconi
07-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Well, mostly because it seems a bit weird to try to back up drives that aren't mounted at all...

Why are you doing this?

I have a remote airdisk, which is used sporadically as an archive disk from the various MacBooks around the house. Overnight, SD makes an automatic backup of the airdisk.

--e.

dnanian
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
And... the Airport Disk has images on it, and -- when mounted -- those are the source for the backup?

franconi
07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
And... the Airport Disk has images on it, and -- when mounted -- those are the source for the backup?

The Airport Disk has one image (TimeMachine backup) and proper folders used to archive documents remotely. The whole bunch should be backed-up as such. Of course I understand that since the remote image is not mounted, I loose the advantage of smart-update, but I guess I have no alternatives, have I?

dnanian
07-07-2009, 01:00 PM
We can't back up directly from a network drive at all, though, so I'm not sure how you're trying to get this to work...

bdwilson
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I know why; because he has a sparseimage on his TimeMachine airdisk that he wants to update. I have this as well. Time Machine does some magic to mount this ( Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://Bobos@airportextreme._afpovertcp._tcp.local/TimeMachine). So I'm assuming I can do a mount_afp afp://Bobos@airportextreme._afpovertcp._tcp.local/TimeMachine /Volumes/TimeMachine, then mount /Volumes/TimeMachine/10.5.sparseimage

I'm not using a Time Capsule so I have the luxury of disconnecting the USB drive from my Airport Extreme and doing the a initial backup (and restore if need be) over USB instead of over the network.

Anyone else doing this?