PDA

View Full Version : Backup without deleting

atlantis
07-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Here is my situation. I have an external HD from which I run my PB. I regularly backup the external to the internal so when I take my PB I have all my files.

However I recently I installed Myst 4 on my external drive and I excluded it (using the SD scripts) from getting copied to the internal. I am now taking my laptop with me on my holidays. When I come back I would like to do the reverse from what I do now, ie "update" my external HD with the contents of my internal.

My problem is though that that probably will erase Myst since it is not contained on my internal drive.

Is there any way to avoid erasing Myst on my external drive?

Thanks for your help!

dnanian
07-02-2005, 08:24 AM
The problem is that the way to avoid erasing it -- using "Copy Newer" or "Copy Different" -- will merge the selected contents of the drives, which isn't necessarily the kind of thing that can guarantee a bootable result...

In general, the only effective way to do this is to partition the drives, or (and this might be easier), copy Myst off and then back on again (perhaps to an iPod or similar)...

atlantis
07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks, I will copy myst to the other partition of my external drive. I just tried to avoid it cause copying 8GB of data takes a while even with a quite fast drive.

I am not sure of the feasibility of it but could a future version of SD include the ability to live some folders untouched when it is "cloning"? It would be nice if it could.

Thanks for the help!

dnanian
07-02-2005, 02:09 PM
It's something we've been looking at, Atlantis. It's not scheduled for v2.0, but we hope for sometime in the 2.x releases...