PDA

View Full Version : Backup to a Vista64 volume?

rolszewski
02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Can SuperDuper backup to a Vista64 volume?

I have a Mac Pro and a Vista64 box. I want to backup one of my Mac Pro volumes to a disk on the Vista64 box - straight Smart Copy operation, nothing fancy. Can this be done? Note that I am running MacDrive on Vista, so the drive in the Vista box is HFS+ formatted.

If so, anyone have any nice links about how I should set up the networking between the two for optimal operation?

Thanks in advance for any help!

dnanian
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, you can do that networked, sure... but you'd be better off writing directly to a local drive. Much easier to recover, faster, etc.

rolszewski
02-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply!

This is only data (photos, movies, etc) that is (are?) being saved for posterity, so I'm much more concerned about having backups copies than ease of retrieval of the data. In addition, the drives are in a Mac format anyway, so I can just remove it from the Vista box and throw it into the Mac Pro if the volume goes south.

Do I need to "mount" the volume that I want to write to in OSX in order for SuperDuper to be able to backup to it? If so, any hints on how to do that, or could you point me to any resources?

I've been searching Google, but I suspect that I don't even know what terms to be searching on, as my results have so far not been applicable to what I want to do.

I mapped a drive in Vista to my Mac volume, and used the built-in command-line tool Robocopy to copy everything over the network at gigabit speeds and it was fast enough for me. I'd like to automate the process if possible, of course, and since I own SuperDuper anyway I may as well try to bend it to my needs :).

dnanian
02-06-2009, 03:11 PM
OK, so - see "Backing up over a network" in the User's Guide, which should help. It's pretty easy to do.

rolszewski
02-06-2009, 09:07 PM
OK, so - see "Backing up over a network" in the User's Guide, which should help. It's pretty easy to do.

Oh, I feel like an idiot.

Had no idea there was a users guide - I'm so used to software NOT being documented that I never thought to check. Thanks for putting up with my idiocy :).