PDA

View Full Version : There's a 1 after the target volume name

p a t r i c k
02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi

I don't actually thing this is a SuperDuper! thing really, more the way my Mac is set up. However I think that it is very likely a solution will be known here.

The target volume for the backup of my Macintosh HD is called Ext HD 005 (a) but in the target pop-up menu of SuperDuper! it shows in the Finder as "Ext HD 005 (a) 1" There is a 1 appended to the name.

When I go to startup my Mac holding down the option key I see that the startup volume has the name "Ext HD 005 (a) 1" as well.

I can guess that for some reason that target volume has been identified twice in the directory and so has the 1 however I can't seem to find a way to get rid of that path and just have Ext HD 005 (a) without the 1.

I'd be grateful if someone would tell me how to do this.

Thank you.

P.S. I'm a great fan of SuperDuper! :) I used to use that other one but SuperDuper! is much better for my requirements.

dnanian
02-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Use Finder's "Go To Folder" command to open

/Volumes

In there, you'll find a folder (not a link/alias) with the name of the external drive. Remove that folder, empty your trash and restart.

That'll resolve the issue.

p a t r i c k
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi

First thank you for that.

There is a problem in that when I go to empty the trash it tells me it is going to trash a great number of items. That folder "points to" my Applications, Developer and Library folders and trying to trash it means that the computer looks like it is going to trash those folders and their contents :(

I see entirely that it is the existence of that folder which is the problem. The alias to the mounted volume must append the "1" because of the presence of that folder.

However I don't want to trash that folder and find that I've trashed all my applications etc. :)

So, it is a small problem.

dnanian
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM
If it's an actual folder, it has the contents of those folders in it, not a 'pointer to', does it not? Adding a file into the Applications folder, for example, doesn't add it to the "regular" folder...

p a t r i c k
02-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, silly me :)

It was a duplicate of course. In fact a duplicate created on 1st Nov 2008.

It has gone now :)

Once again thank you.