PDA

View Full Version : prefs not cloned

darkwing
01-24-2009, 10:59 PM
My main task for SD is cloning (Smart Update) to 15 identical machines (iMacs, 10.5.6) from my master machine in our computer lab. Unfortunately, a bunch of stuff has to be fixed by hand for each computer after a clone. I have to go into prefs for each account and tell it not to show the bluetooth icon in the menu. Same for Time Machine, and Airport in the Network Pref pane. Also, the Software Update pane has to be manually reset so it won't automatically check for updates weekly. It pretty much doubles the time it takes to clone.

Otherwise I have been a long time big fan of SD. I own a personal license, and two licenses at work.

Any suggestions?

dnanian
01-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Those prefs are cloned, but they're "ByHost", and thus are specific to the Mac itself...

darkwing
01-25-2009, 10:20 AM
So there is nothing I can do about it? Dang. What a pain. Thanks for your reply though.

dnanian
01-25-2009, 11:19 AM
There may be a way to handle it with the general Mac "image distribution" tools that come with server.

fishmonkey
01-27-2009, 06:15 AM
maybe i'm confused here, but if you change the prefs on the master machine before you clone, won't that solve the problem?

dnanian
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
No, because the prefs for these things are "ByHost" -- that is, specific to the ID of the Mac (typically the ethernet ID).

fishmonkey
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
No, because the prefs for these things are "ByHost" -- that is, specific to the ID of the Mac (typically the ethernet ID).

ok, gotcha... so what happens when you clone? do you simply end up with default settings on the other Macs? i'm asking because i may need to start doing this soon...

dnanian
01-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Right, you end up with defaults for ByHost preferences. (If you start up with that disk in FireWire Target Disk Mode from the original Mac, you'd see the prefs set.)

darkwing
02-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't have a server, and it isn't an option due to the cash outlay required. I am the clone-meister, and it will stay that way. Maybe I should learn some scripting so I could write a script that would set up each machine after cloning. (This is a subtle way of hoping someone will do it for me, because I'm probably not going to get around to it).

This whole thing is also related to the problem of setting up a Guest Account, which also requires special handling. I have to enter a bunch of terminal commands to get the Guest Account to behave properly whenever I change any software.