PDA

View Full Version : SD & VMware Fusion

jsciullo
01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a 500GB iMac and currently using 78GB of the 500. I am also running Fusion. It looks like a 250GB ext drive would be able to be used as a "clone" drive but would SD also back up my Fusion (Windows XP) partiion? And if yes - would it also restore all my windows software, etc....

My plan is to use SD for a full disk bootable clone (backed up a couple of times a month) and use TM as my daily backup on my second ext drive.

Im trying to determine ext drive size to see if I can still use my existing FW drive.

Thank You,
Jim

dnanian
01-01-2009, 11:40 PM
SD won't back up a separate Windows partition (if it's on a separate partition, like BootCamp, as opposed to a 'disk image' file stored on the regular drive). But WinClone should be able to do that part of it...

jsciullo
01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
I use Fusion so it sounds like I should be OK. Thanks Dave!!
Jim

tuni
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I use VmFusion too and to the best of my knowledge, SD backs it up (WinXP including my old version of Quicken) w/o problems. I have rebooted from the external FW drive with the SD backup on it, and XP (on VmFusion) comes up (sometimes with a few complaints) and Quicken is there too & usable (I don't go on-line with Quicken though - don't need that capability).

HTH,
tuni

dnanian
01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Assuming that Fusion isn't running when you back up, and you have stored your data on the same drive in an image, yes.