PDA

View Full Version : Smart update during other activities

Roger sinden
12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I was making a new copy to a clean external drive and noticed that SD seemed to be stuck for a long time. On further investigation, it turned out that my destination drive was up at about 163Gb and yet my source was a meagre 93Gb.

I finally figured it out. While SD was doing its' backup, I was also recording off-air an audio program using iRecordMusic and it was this activity that was causing SD to write a huge 100Gb+ audio file.

While I kinda understand and appreciate why this might happen, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to stop this happening in the future as I frequently do unattended recordings that might kick in at the same time that SD is scheduled to run a backup. It would be a bit of a pain to try and continually remember to reschedule as appropriate.

Thanks

dnanian
12-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Perhaps configure to not copy that folder?

Roger sinden
12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Perhaps configure to not copy that folder?

While I can see that that should work, it's not ideal as it means that I would have to go back and uncheck it to backup the next time...which might not be easily done (no access to the computer etc).

dnanian
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Well, you could put the 'active' recordings in one folder, then move them somewhere else when they're done. That way you'd back them up appropriately and not back up actively updating files... that's a known (and documented) issue...

Roger sinden
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Well, you could put the 'active' recordings in one folder, then move them somewhere else when they're done. That way you'd back them up appropriately and not back up actively updating files... that's a known (and documented) issue...

Very neat. I like that. Could you also please point me in the direction of the documentation as I'm always up for learning.

Thanks for the quick reply.

dnanian
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
It's "User's Guide" in the Help menu.