PDA

View Full Version : help! superduper may have killed my hard drive!

malapesada
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
so i tried to backup onto my external lacie hard drive. a window popped up saying that it couldn't be done. when i clicked the window it ejected my hard drive and when i tried to reconnect it to my computer it wouldn't show up.
i tried to, instead of connecting with firewire 800, connect using usb.
this way the computer was able to see a hard drive but not read it. i tried to repair with disk utility and it wasn't able to repair.
can someone help.
the hard drive wasn't empty, if that matters.
did i screw it up forever?

dnanian
12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
SuperDuper! did not "kill" your drive, malapesada: your drive sounds like it had a hard failure while it was in use. I'd contact LaCie to see if they can help you...

malapesada
12-04-2008, 02:59 AM
even though it was working perfectly right up to the moment i tried to run superduper?
when i call lacie do i need to mention anything specific about superduper?
thanks.

dnanian
12-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes, even though it was working perfectly until you used it with something that just happened to use the drive "aggressively". Don't blame the messenger, malapesada: we're just writing files.

t3rockhall
12-04-2008, 10:54 AM
It might be useful to try it on another Mac first :rolleyes:

davep
12-04-2008, 08:07 PM
malapesada, I've been using SuperDuper! with LaCie drives for years. Your choices of hard disk hardware and backup software are both excellent. After the internal drive of my Mac Pro crashed I bought a larger external LaCie to use as my boot drive. It's been running continuously for almost a year (I never shut it off).

Hard disks fail. It's a fact of life. When my Mac Pro internal drive failed I had gone for two months without making my usual SuperDuper! backup. That will never happen to me again. I've learned my lesson. SuperDuper! is excellent, as is the support.

Fortunately LaCie has a good warranty policy. Good luck.

Dave P.