PDA

View Full Version : fix_prebinding.sh no longer working

fmlogue
11-30-2008, 04:13 PM
For some reason running the fix_prebinding.sh script after smart copy no longer makes my clones usable. I find I am having to do a safe boot (boot while holding the shift key down) and run the following in the terminal in order to use the clone.

sudo update_prebinding -root "/Volumes/the-drive-name" -force

It's the same problem as before, 100% CPU use and programs unable to load. I have no idea as to what may have changed. It has been happening for the past few weeks. Maybe one of the Apple software updates broke something?

dnanian
11-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't see why what you did would be any different, actually: that's what we're basically doing in the fix...

fmlogue
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Further investigating discovers the following to be true, but I do not know what this means. I have a 1.25 ghz PPC Macmini and a 2.0 ghz intel duo Macmini. I have been using Super!Duper to clone a backup and then I have run my PPC off one of the clones, being careful to not do anything on it that I cannot afford to lose. This time, after I did the smart update, I immediately started the Intel duo from the clone. No problem. Just in case, I ran the following script:

sudo update_prebinding -debug -root / -force

ran successfully.

Then I connected the firewire drive to the PPC and booted. No joy. Had to boot into safe mode (shift key down), and then run:

sudo update_prebinding -debug -root / -force

Then rebooted normally. Success. It seems that prebinding from the Intel machine does not properly bind the system for a PPC machine. Now this has only happened since one of the recent system updates, I think wihin the last month or so.

So there, more evidence that Apple is planning to obsolete the PPC computers, and only after 2 years!