PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my backup setup?

cMadman
11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Just reworked my backup routine and would appreciate any feedback on how to improve it / make better use of my drives.

I've just bought a new cheap (£80) 1TB drive (a buffalo drivestation from AmazonUK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Drivestation-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B001ER6CIW/)) and have reworked my backup setup to try and make best use of it.

Currently I have an MBP (last rev) with a 186GiB internal drive split into a 155GiB OS X Leopard and a 31GiB XP BootCamp (which I don't backup).

Drives I have available:
500GB Western Digital MyBook FW400 & USB2
1TB Buffalo DriveStation USB2
300GB PikaOne (lol, it was cheap alright!) USB2

Current usage:
1TB/930GiB partitioned into

300GiB Time Machine
155GiB SuperClone
475GiB Fodder (stuff I don't need backed up)

500GB/465GiB partitioned into

155GiB SuperDuper
300GiB TimeClone

As you've probably guessed, "Time Machine" is the primary Time Machine drive, the rest all use SD!s smart update, "SuperDuper" is an OS X clone to boot from if my internal drive dies, the two others are for redundancy in case a backup drive dies.

Overkill / Not overkill enough?
Any ideas to make better use of them?
If I could empty the 300GB, is there a backup area I've neglected where it could be put to work?

Thanks for reading :) Appreciate it's a bit random but I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm sure you do :)

dnanian
11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Seems reasonable enough to me... although when you have 500GB of "fodder" it usually means you value some of it, otherwise, why so much?

cMadman
11-26-2008, 06:01 PM
There's truth to that, but ultimately I'm limited by my internal drive. As it's my main/only machine, anything crucial needs to be on the laptop and get backed up from there but with the limited space I have (and since recently beginning to shoot images in RAW at 10-12MB a piece) my laptop is very quickly becoming just photos / music & essentials.

Thanks for the quick reply Dave :)