PDA

View Full Version : Can't Backup Over Network

ramonekalsaw
11-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm a new user, and am trying to back up my second mac over the Mac network. I'm following the instructions in the manual: "Backing up over a network." The drives I want to copy are mounted, but when I click on:

Copy > Disk Image ...

I get the finder Open window which doesn't let me select my folders ... the folders and files are greyed out; so I never get to the SAVE box as illustrated in the manual (page 18).

Can you point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

dnanian
11-26-2008, 06:54 AM
We cannot copy *from* a network drive -- we only write *to* a network drive (in an image).

ramonekalsaw
11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
We cannot copy *from* a network drive -- we only write *to* a network drive (in an image).

So to clarify:

We cannot copy *from* a network drive

So that means I cannot open SuperDuper on Mac1 then log-on to Mac2 and tell SuperDuper to back up from Mac2 onto Ext.HD1? I'd only be able to copy from Mac1 onto Mac2?

... we only write *to* a network drive (in an image).
When backing up on the network, does SuperDuper create the 'image'? Or do I have to do that with DiskUtility?

Thanks for helping me understand this. First time using software like SuperDuper.

Thanks.

dnanian
11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
That's right, you can't copy a Mac other than the one you're on. SD! creates the image in the other case -- see "Backing up over a network" in the User's Guide.