PDA

View Full Version : Bootable backup is too large to restore?

MattBaker
10-30-2008, 08:55 AM
I've screwed something up, so I'm hoping you can rescue me.

I used SuperDuper to make a bootable backup of the drive in my MacBook. Then I erased the built-in drive and reinstalled Leopard.

I would like to use the backup drive to restore everything, but Disk Utility says that the backup drive is too large to restore to the built-in drive.

The built-in drive is 160GB.
The bootable backup is a 250GB drive.

How can I get everything back from the external drive?

What SuperDuper setting do I need to change so that next time, I can use that drive as a backup without running into this problem again?

Thank you.

dnanian
10-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Clean install Leopard to the internal drive. During your first startup, it'll prompt you to 'copy from another Mac'. Point that at the backup and it'll bring in your files and applications.

Sigi
10-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Clean install Leopard to the internal drive. During your first startup, it'll prompt you to 'copy from another Mac'. Point that at the backup and it'll bring in your files and applications.

Hello Dave,

I am in the process of upgrading from Tiger to Leopard. I have a fully bootable backup (tested).

I am not sure which upgrade version to take. Is what you describe above your recommendation. Would this transer all the data/settings/applications and user preferences from the different accounts?

Thanks

Sigi

dnanian
10-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Actually, I always recommend an upgrade. If it fails, you can always do the above.

Sigi
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Dave,

thanks, I will do so. I will just play around for a few days and check everything - see how it goes. I will turn off SD for a few days so that I can always go back.

Thanks

Sigi

MattBaker
11-01-2008, 12:16 PM

I would have sworn that I tried this, but obviously not.

Thank you for your help.