PDA

View Full Version : Log file?

AshMacon
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Where does SD! store a log file? Is this stored even when no errors are encountered?

When doing a Smart update, does it list all files updated? Is there any way to know?

I did a full copy with SD of 1.5M files (~700GB) from one RAID system to another....took about 6 hours.
One day later I did a Smart update and it transferred nearly all (but not all) the data and took 5+ hours....
I know that much data did not change.

Any suggestions on why SD! thinks the files are all different? I was hoping Smart update would have only taken 30min or so..

Otherwise, so far I love my (registered!) SD!

dnanian
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
That seems unusual. The only thing I've seen that causes "extra" copying (or, copying that *seems* extra), are files with 'bad' dates. Often, those files will come from Windows, and for some reason they have illegal dates for some of their date fields.

When we try to copy those files, the dates can't be replicated at the file level, and as such they get set to 'today' -- so the next time through, they don't match.

The usual way to 'fix' this is to copy the files, and then immediately copy them back. That'll 'fix' the dates, and they won't copy again.

AshMacon
10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Does SD! keep the log somewhere (even when no errors occur)?

dnanian
10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Yes, for a manual backup, Cmd+L. For a scheduled backup, open the Scheduled Copies window (Window > Scheduled Copies), select the schedule and then click Show Log.

griffmiester
02-12-2009, 02:50 AM
Does it store old log files somewhere?

eg, I had an issue, and then restarted the computer, and ran the SMART Backup again, but the "Show Log" only shows the Log for the current attempt.

Are the Log's stored somewhere, so that I can check the Log for the previous attempt?

Thanks,

griffmiester

dnanian
02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Cmd+click the title bar of a later log, choose "Logs". The last 10 logs are there.